Applied Strategic Foresight (Live-online)
Bringing Futures Thinking into Strategy
For our on-site Applied Strategic Foresight course - see here
From our position as a world-leader in applying futures studies and foresight methodologies to specific societal and business challenges, the Copenhagen Institute for Futures Studies has designed a targeted applied strategic foresight course.
In the course, we upskill our course participants with a structured process for understanding dynamics of change, planning for alternative scenarios, and futures-orienting organisational strategy through applied strategic foresight and futures studies. The course is built around maximum engagement and actionable, hands-on learning, with the right blend between relevant theory and tangible strategic foresight tools for your professional work. Our course facilitators bring their knowledge and expertise from working daily with strategic foresight and futures-oriented issues.
It is a popular choice for decision-makers, innovation managers, strategic planners, business developers, designers and people who want to get a head-start working strategically with the future.
In addition to our open courses, we also offer courses exclusively for your organisation or business if you want to work closely with your colleagues on learning how to apply strategic foresight.
This course will provide you with
- Solid insights into the megatrends that shape the future and how they may affect your business or organisation
- The ability to spot and make sense of trends, issues and critical uncertainties influencing your future strategic environment
- The ability to create alternative views on the future and frame robust alternative futures scenarios that has relevance for decision-making - instead of only extrapolating current trends
- Knowledge of how to use the CIFS scenario planning approach as a tool for strategic analysis to develop strategic agility and organisational resilience
- The opportunity to build knowledge and cultivate a “foresight mindset” for your own futures thinking, while also building community by networking and exchanging experiences and ideas with like-minded business professionals from other organisations and industries
About the course
Strategic foresight is not about making numerous wild (and often vague) guesses about the future. Rather, it is a structured process focused on guiding thinking, identifying opportunities, and building resilience in the face of uncertainty and complexity – thus improving organisational decision-making by considering alternative futures and challenging underlying assumptions.
The course guides participants through CIFS' approach to applied strategic foresight. The core modules covered in the course are:
Using the Future - Become familiar with how to “use the future” through strategic foresight and why the capability to develop insights about future alternatives to guide strategic thinking has never been more important.
Exploring dynamics of change - Learn the process of exploring dynamics of change as the “bedrock”-practice of strategic foresight, e.g. by applying the Futures Triangle as an explorative tool.
Discovering key strategic uncertainties - Learn how to identify and make sense of the uncertainties that matter the most, by understanding the degree of uncertainty surrounding impactful strategic issues.
Building futures scenarios - Learn how to frame and develop robust alternative futures scenarios and discover alternative futures perspectives that have relevance for decision-making.
Transitioning from foresight to strategy - Learn how to understand the strategic implications of alternative futures and how to transition into futures-informed strategic decision-making.
The course is facilitated live-online in four sessions, with 3,5 hours per live session (including 30-minute break).
The course consists of a mixture of live-online instruction and hands-on online workshop activities facilitated by CIFS advisors/futurists with years of global experience. Throughout, we will contextualise and discuss what we have learned.
Seats are limited to secure close interaction and feedback in the group.
The course includes
- Live-online instruction and facilitation by CIFS advisors/futurists
- Immersion into CIFS' approach to applied strategic foresight
- Proprietary CIFS futures studies and strategic foresight toolkit
- Course material (provided prior to course) and presenter slides
- LinkedIn certificate of course completion badge
- Free 1-year personal Futures Membership of CIFS
- Networking opportunities with like-minded business professionals
Dates, times and sign-up
We offer two different options tailored to different time zones. We add new course dates on a rolling basis. The following course dates are currently available:
- Option 1: Dec. 6 - Dec. 7 & Dec. 9 - Dec. 10, 2021
08.00 - 11.30 (PST) // 11.00 - 14.30 (EST) // 17.00 - 20.30 (CET)
Suitable for Western hemisphere time zones
- Option 2: Feb. 7 - Feb. 8 & Feb. 10 - Feb. 11, 2022
9.00 – 12.30 (CET) // 12.00 – 15.30 (GST) // 19.00 – 22.30 (AEDT)
Suitable for Eastern hemisphere time zones