Applied Strategic Foresight (Live-online)
Bringing Futures Thinking into Strategy
We’ve taken the best from our traditional course offering and designed a targeted live-online offering for maximum engagement and actionable, hands-on learning, with the right blend between relevant theory and tangible strategic foresight tools for your professional work.
In this course, we upskill our course participants with a structured process for understanding dynamics of change, planning for alternative scenarios, and futures-orienting organisational strategy through applied strategic foresight and futures studies. It is a popular choice for decision makers, innovation managers, strategic planners, business developers and people who want to get a head-start working strategically with future insights and uncertainties.
The Copenhagen Institute for Futures Studies (CIFS) is a world-leader in applying futures studies and foresight methodologies to specific societal and business challenges. Our course facilitators work daily with strategic and futures-oriented issues for our members and clients.
In addition to our open courses, we also offer courses exclusively for your organisation or business if you want to work closely with your colleagues on learning how to apply strategic foresight.
This course will provide you with
- Solid insights into the megatrends that shape the future and how they may affect your business or organisation
- The ability to spot and make sense of critical uncertainties influencing your future strategic environment
- The ability to frame and develop robust alternative futures scenarios that has relevance for decision-making
- Knowledge of how to use the CIFS scenario planning approach as a tool for strategic analysis, innovation, and/or risk management
- The opportunity to build knowledge and cultivate a “foresight mindset” for your own futures thinking while also building community, by networking and exchanging experiences and ideas with like-minded business professionals from other organisations and industries
About the course
Strategic foresight is not about making numerous wild (and often vague) guesses about the future. Rather, it is a structured process focused on guiding thinking, identifying opportunities, and building resilience in the face of uncertainty and complexity – thus improving organisational decision-making by considering alternative futures and challenging underlying assumptions.
The course guides participants through CIFS' approach to applied strategic foresight. We begin with megatrends and key strategic uncertainties and work our way through a structured process to develop scenarios as a framework that form the backbone for strategic analysis. This approach provides a structured process and framework that helps organizations manage uncertainty and reduce complexity by:
- Identifying trends and issues that are of strategic interest, including COVID-19 induced changes, technological innovation, evolving customer expectations, new market actors and business models
- Sorting through these issues to focus on those that are most impactful and for which the organization has a poorly developed response
- Understanding the degree of uncertainty surrounding impactful strategic issues
- Creating alternative views on the future instead of only extrapolating current trends
- Stress-testing strategies and concepts against future scenarios to develop organisational resiliency to thereby identify an organisation’s level of preparedness
- Developing strategic agility by examining opportunities and challenges in the future
The course will be offered live-online in four sessions, with 3,5 hours per live session (including 30-minute break).
The course will consist of a mixture of live-online instruction and hands-on online workshop activities facilitated by CIFS advisors/futurists with years of global experience. Throughout, we will contextualise and discuss what we have learned.
Seats are limited to secure close interaction and feedback in the group.
The course includes
- Live-online instruction and facilitation by CIFS advisors/futurists
- Immersion into CIFS' approach to applied strategic foresight
- Proprietary CIFS futures studies and strategic foresight toolkit
- Course material (provided prior to course) and presenter slides
- LinkedIn certificate of course completion badge
- Networking opportunities with like-minded business professionals
Dates and times
We offer two different options for this course tailored to different time zones.
- Option 1: May 31 - June 1 & June 3 - June 4
9.00 – 12.30 (CEST) // 11.00 – 14.30 (GST) // 17.00 – 20.30 (AEST)
Suitable for Eastern hemisphere time zones
- Option 2: June 21 - June 22 & June 24 - June 25
8.00 - 11.30 (PDT) // 11.00 - 14.30 (EDT) // 17.00 - 20.30 (CEST)
Suitable for Western hemisphere time zones
Stay tuned for course dates for Q3 and Q4.
We want our knowledge and methodology to benefit as many people as possible. Therefore, at each course, we reserve a limited number of seats which can be made available for participants from regions or organisations eligible for a discount (10%). In order to submit a request for such participation, please motivate so in the comments field.
- CIFS Organisational Members: 2 free seats per year - full price for additional seats
- CIFS Personal Members: 10% discount
- Additional participants from the same non-member organization: 10% discount
Sign up here
You will receive email confirmation, details regarding payment, and further information about course participation upon sign up completion.
N.B. Registration is binding and purchases are final due to limited seats in each course. In case of unexpected circumstances: Up to 14 days prior the scheduled course, you will be able to transfer your seat to a course scheduled at a later date. Less than 14 days prior to the scheduled course, you will be able to transfer your seat to another person within your organisation. We reserve the right to cancel a course in the case of too few sign ups.
For more details on this course: