Applied Strategic Foresight (Live-online)
Bringing Futures Thinking into Strategy
We’ve taken the best from our traditional course offering and designed a targeted live-online offering for maximum engagement and actionable, hands-on learning, with the right blend between relevant theory and tangible strategic foresight tools for your professional work.
In this course, we upskill our course participants with a structured process for understanding dynamics of change, planning for alternative scenarios, and futures-orienting organisational strategy through applied strategic foresight and futures studies. It is a popular choice for decision-makers, innovation managers, strategic planners, business developers, designers and people who want to get a head-start working strategically with the future.
The Copenhagen Institute for Futures Studies (CIFS) is a world-leader in applying futures studies and foresight methodologies to specific societal and business challenges. Our course facilitators work daily with strategic and futures-oriented issues for our members and clients.
In addition to our open courses, we also offer courses exclusively for your organisation or business if you want to work closely with your colleagues on learning how to apply strategic foresight.
This course will provide you with
- Solid insights into the megatrends that shape the future and how they may affect your business or organisation
- The ability to spot and make sense of critical uncertainties influencing your future strategic environment
- The ability to frame and develop robust alternative futures scenarios that has relevance for decision-making
- Knowledge of how to use the CIFS scenario planning approach as a tool for strategic analysis, innovation, and/or risk management
- The opportunity to build knowledge and cultivate a “foresight mindset” for your own futures thinking, while also building community by networking and exchanging experiences and ideas with like-minded business professionals from other organisations and industries
About the course
Strategic foresight is not about making numerous wild (and often vague) guesses about the future. Rather, it is a structured process focused on guiding thinking, identifying opportunities, and building resilience in the face of uncertainty and complexity – thus improving organisational decision-making by considering alternative futures and challenging underlying assumptions.
The course guides participants through CIFS' approach to applied strategic foresight. We begin with megatrends and key strategic uncertainties and work our way through a structured process to develop scenarios as a framework that form the backbone for strategic analysis. This approach provides a structured process and framework that helps organisations manage uncertainty and reduce complexity by:
- Identifying trends and issues that are of strategic interest, including COVID-19 induced changes, technological innovation, evolving customer expectations, new market actors and business models
- Sorting through these issues to focus on those that are most impactful and for which the organization has a poorly developed response
- Understanding the degree of uncertainty surrounding impactful strategic issues
- Creating alternative views on the future instead of only extrapolating current trends
- Stress-testing strategies and concepts against future scenarios to develop organisational resiliency to thereby identify an organisation’s level of preparedness
- Developing strategic agility by examining opportunities and challenges in the future
The course will be offered live-online in four sessions, with 3,5 hours per live session (including 30-minute break).
The course will consist of a mixture of live-online instruction and hands-on online workshop activities facilitated by CIFS advisors/futurists with years of global experience. Throughout, we will contextualise and discuss what we have learned.
Seats are limited to secure close interaction and feedback in the group.
The course includes
- Live-online instruction and facilitation by CIFS advisors/futurists
- Immersion into CIFS' approach to applied strategic foresight
- Proprietary CIFS futures studies and strategic foresight toolkit
- Course material (provided prior to course) and presenter slides
- LinkedIn certificate of course completion badge
- Networking opportunities with like-minded business professionals
Dates, times and sign-up
We offer two different options tailored to different time zones. The following course dates are currently available:
- Option 1: Aug 23 - Aug 24 & Aug 26 - Aug 27
9.00 – 12.30 (CEST) // 11.00 – 14.30 (GST) // 17.00 – 20.30 (AEST)
Suitable for Eastern hemisphere time zones
- Option 2: Sep 13 - Sep 14 & Sep 16 - Sep 17
8.00 - 11.30 (PST) // 11.00 - 14.30 (EST) // 17.00 - 20.30 (CEST)
Suitable for Western hemisphere time zones